Pluscarden Abbey was established in 1230 by King Alexander 11. It closed in 1560 due to the reformation. However, in 1948 five monks started the Catholic Bendictine monastic life again and there are now around 20 monks living at Pluscarden surrounded by tranquil surroundings.
Several parts of Pluscarden Abbey are open to the public. There is an exhibition detailing the history of the abbey and the Benedictine monks. It’s possible to attend mass and other services such as vespers. Services are sung daily in Gregorian Chant.
The abbey shops helps generate income for the abbey selling guidebook, postcards and honey which is produced on sites.
Pluscarden Abbey is a peaceful place to visit, and is slightly off the beaten track,
Pluscarden Abbey, Elgin IV30 8UA